1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon slices and reserve to cool.
2. In same saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender
3. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil
4. Coarsely chop up bacon slices and reserve a small portion for garnish, the rest goes into the saucepan.
5. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes for potatoes to cook down and flavours to meld
6. Puree broth mixture in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender.
7. Slowly add in grated Cheddar cheese, stirring constantly to avoid clumping
7. Divide into bowls and top each with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt), green onions and remaining chopped bacon.