Canadian sisters and queens of the grill @Maddieandkiki take this Portuguese favourite and add a fun summertime BBQ twist. This recipe has all the flavours of traditional Caldo Verde soup, grilled, and piled on top of our Sizzlin’ Original Smokie.
- 1 pkg Grimm’s Sizzlin’ Original Smokies
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small bunch of fresh kale, washed and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- pinch of chili flakes
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tsp. grainy mustard
- crushed regular potato chips
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 sausage buns, grilled.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a cast-iron pan, combine olive oil, kale, onions, garlic, chilies, zest, broth and salt, and pepper. Braids over indirect heat until kale is fully cooked, and onions and garlic are translucent – approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Grill sausages over direct heat for 4-5 minutes per side.
- In a bowl, combine butter with mustard. Brush on grilled buns.
- To serve: place sausage in a buttered grilled bun. Top with some of the kale mixture, and as many crushed chips and you can balance on top