James Synowicki of @zimmysnook brings us his Holiday Sausage Meatball recipe made especially for the Air Fryer. Doesn’t get better than this, simple ingredients combined with two different types of Grimm’s sausage for a tasty meatball done in minutes!
A Special Message from @Zimmysnook: The keys to delicious meatballs are the perfect balance of fat content to meat, and seasoning that does not overpower your tastebuds, but leaves you craving another meatball… then another… Using the combination of Grimm’s Spicy Italian & Bratwurst Sausages solves both of those challenges and takes the guesswork out of meatball preparation. Simply remove the casing, toss them in a bowl with a couple of eggs, panko & fresh herbs, roll into balls, and before you know it, you are enjoying The Ultimate Meatballs! These meatballs are sooooo delicious on their own but create the perfect festive treat when served with orange-jalapeño-cranberry sauce and baguette rounds! To avoid disappointment, make extra!
- 450 g (1 lb) Grimm’s Spicy Italian Sausage (casing removed)
- 450 g (1 lb) Grimm’s Bratwurst Sausage (casing removed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Olive oil – to lightly spray or brush on meatballs (4 teaspoons liquid) – optional
- In a large bowl, mix sausage, pepper, eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley, and basil.
- Form 3 cm (1 ¼ inch) meatballs (approximately 28.5 g/1 oz) and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly spray or brush a little olive oil on each meatball, then reshape with your hands to ensure the oil coats the entire ball.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F and bake in batches for 8 minutes, shaking the meatballs halfway through. *Meatballs can also be baked in an oven at 400°F (on the parchment-lined baking sheet – middle rack) for 10-12 minutes, shaking the pan 2-3 times for even cooking. Serve with orange-jalapeño-cranberry sauce and baguette rounds for a delicious holiday appetizer.
For crispier meatballs cook for an additional 2 minutes. The olive oil is optional but helps create a crispier golden exterior. Make extra to use on your favourite pasta or enjoy a mouth-wateringly good meatball sandwich!
ORANGE JALAPEŃO CRANBERRY SAUCE
- 2 large jalapeños, charred, seeds removed, and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 – 12-ounce package, fresh or frozen cranberries (3 cups)
- Char the jalapeños directly on a grill, gas stove burner, or on a hot griddle pan. Remove jalapeños, place in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a plate. Let steam for about 5 minutes. Using a paper towel wipe off the charred skin, slice in half, remove seeds and finely dice.
- To prepare the cranberry sauce, add the white balsamic vinegar, sugar, jalapeños, salt, and rosemary in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, stir to combine. Add water, then stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add orange and cranberries, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until cranberries have softened.
- Spoon sauce into a bowl(s), cover, and cool at room temperature. Refrigerate until serving time.
Use a larger pot than needed and watch the cranberries to avoid them boiling over and making a mess.