Renee Kohlman of sweetsugarbean uses our Spicy Italian Sausage to stuff mushrooms in this irresistible gluten-free appetizer that’s perfect for your next soiree.
- 3 Grimm’s Spicy Italian Sausages
- 20 large mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried fennel seed
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 120 g cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, grated (plus some for topping)
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove the stems.
- In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in a preheated 375°F oven for about 30 minutes. Stir once or twice, flipping the mushrooms over in the final moments so that the juices drain out. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, squeeze the sausage meat out of the casings and cook until no longer pink, breaking it apart with the back of a spoon. You want it fairly crumbly and in small pieces. Stir in onions, garlic and spices, and cook a few minutes longer, until onion is softened. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Remove from heat and place into a bowl, along with the cheeses (save some of the Asiago for topping). Stir well to combine (don’t be afraid to use your hands).
- Take a tsp and fill each mushroom cap so that it is quite full. Sprinkle with remaining Asiago. Bake at 375°F for about 30-35 minutes, until golden. It can easily be doubled if feeding a large crowd.