Perfect for any time of year, this cassoulet recipe using Bavarian Smokies makes for an easy weekday meal. There is a minimal amount of preparation required, just let the flavours meld!
- 4 Grimm’s Bavarian Original Smokies
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes (796 ml)
- 1 can white kidney beans (540 ml), rinsed well
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat your grill to medium high. Make several small cuts along the length of the Bavarian Smokies. Try to make the cuts about 1/3 of the way through the smokie and each cut a 1/2 inch apart. This will give you lots of crispy spots on the smokies, and make it easy to cut apart and eat.
- Grill the smokies for 8-10 minutes, turning a few times, until the smokies are covered in grill marks and heated through.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the red wine to the pot and stir to scrape off any stuck-on bits.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir well. Add the smokies to the pot and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.