- 1 pkg Grimm’s Double Smoked Side Bacon, diced
- 1 large gala apple, cored and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 shot espresso
- salt & pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until fat is rendered and bacon has started to crisp (about 12 minutes).
- Drain all but 1 tbsp of the fat and add in remaining ingredients except for garnish.
- Stir to combine the mixture, cover the pan and reduce heat to low.
- Allow the flavours to cook and meld together undisturbed about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir again and then partially cover the pan.
- Continue to cook until most of the liquid is gone and the onions have achieved a deep brown colour. The texture should start to resemble a chunky jam-like texture.
- Taste the jam (try not to devour the entire batch) and add salt & pepper if necessary.
- Remove the jam from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spoon the jam into jars, then allow to cool completely.
Serve bacon jam atop a canapé cracker with sliced brie and apple, top each with a sprig of parsley for garnish and a hit of freshness.
Tip: Let the bacon jam come back to room temperature before use if stored in the refrigerator, this will allow the fat to dissolve back into the jam.