Nothing beats a homemade meal made with love and this heart-shaped Bratwurst & Feta Phyllo Pie by ZimmysNook is bursting with it.
- 3 Grimm’s Fine Foods Bratwurst Sausage (8 oz – casing removed)
- 3/4 cup Grimm’s Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 3 small leeks – white part only (rinsed, dried & diced – approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- salt & freshly and ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup roasted pickled red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 10 inch loose bottom heart pan (or 9 inch loose bottom round tart pan)
- In a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, the chopped onion and leeks. Sprinkle with a little salt & pepper, then cook until soft and slightly golden. Add red pepper and mix to combine and cook (about 1 minute). Remove to a small sheet pan to cool.
- In the same pan, over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and Grimm’s Bratwurst Sausages. Using a spatula, break the sausages into little pieces and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until browned. Move the sausage to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain fat, then add the sausage to the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, beat 1 egg, then add oregano and ricotta. Whisk until smooth, add Grimm’s Feta Cheese and mix to combine.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the sausage and vegetables and combine.
The filling is complete.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the baking pan, with a piece of parchment, cut to fit the bottom of the pan.
- Lay a piece of phyllo on the work surface (length laid out left to right); using a pastry brush, lightly coat with butter, and then add the 2nd sheet of phyllo and brush the edges lightly with butter. Spread 1/6 of the filling straight across the phyllo near the edge of the sheet. Roll loosely up into a tube. Place the tube down one edge of the heart-shaped pan (if using a round pan, form into a tight swirl and place in the centre of pan). Continue brushing, filling and rolling, place all the rolls as you make them into the pan from the outside in (for a round pan, continue to swirl from the inside out).
- In a small bowl, mix 1 egg and the yogurt together until smooth. Drizzle, the mixture over the pie and use a pastry brush to spread it evenly over the phyllo.
- Bake at 375°F until golden brown (30-40 minutes). Use tin foil to cover the edges if they begin to brown too quickly.
- Perfect to make ahead of time and reheat before serving.