Yes, you read that right… Bacon and Doughnuts brought to you by the talented ibake.yeg, just in time for Valentine’s Day.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp red food colouring
- 2 1/2 oz cream cheese
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cream or milk
- 4 thick strips of Grimm’s Double Smoked Side Bacon
- 4 tbsp of brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease doughnut pan.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl mix together melted butter, egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and red food colouring. Ensure that all ingredients have been well incorporated.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix. Once again ensure that all ingredients have been well incorporated. Make sure not to over mix.
- Pour doughnut batter into doughnuts tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Allow doughnuts to cool in doughnut tray and then remove from tray and place on the cooling rack.
- In a stand mixer, whip together room temperature cream cheese and room temperature butter.
- Add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Add cream. You may add more cream to thin out glaze until you reached your desired consistency. Add in 1/2 tbsp increments.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place Grimm’s Double Smoked Side Bacon strips on parchment paper and top each strip with 1 tbsp of brown sugar.
- Cook bacon for approximately 5 -7 mins and then flip over and cook for approximately an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, chop up bacon.
Assembling the doughnuts
- Once doughnuts have completely cooled, dip doughnuts into the glaze and place back onto the cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with Grimm’s Double Smoked candied bacon.