Gather your family around the table for this delicious recipe by Michael Varga, @Vargacooks. It’s a winter-inspired meal bringing together the rich flavour of our Double-Smoked Ukrainian Sausage with everything you love about Pierogi’s: the caramelized onions, melted cheese, and of course, sour cream. It’s a comfort meal that will warm your belly and your heart. Enjoy.
- 1 x Grimm’s Double Smoked Ukrainian Sausage Ring
- 16 Pierogis of choice
- Sour cream
- Your favourite cheese, enough to cover the pan
- Chives for garnish
- 2 medium-sized yellow onions
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- kosher salt to taste
- Cook pierogi per instructions, set aside, and toss with 1-2 tbsp oil to keep from sticking.
- Caramelize sliced onions in the cast iron on medium heat with butter and salt to taste. Stir occasionally and add a little water or stock to deglaze the pan. About 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Slice sausage into desired size and pan fry on medium-high heat with a little oil until golden brown on each side.
- Then place onion, pan fry the pierogis until golden brown, and flip.
- Add in onions and sausage.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and broil in the oven for a few minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Dollop with sour cream and chives.