What’s better than grilled Grimm’s Original Bavarian Smokies? How about tacos made with Grimm’s Original Bavarian Smokies, wrapped inside Grimm’s Wheat & Corn Tortillas, then smothered in spicy guacamole and layered with fresh corn & black bean salsa!
- 5 Grimm’s Original Bavarian Smokies (1 x 450g package)
- 12 Grimm’s Wheat & Corn Tortillas (1 x 300g package)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thin strips (about 2” length)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 lime, zest, and juice
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- Corn & black bean salsa (store-bought or see recipe below)
- Spicy Guacamole (store-bought or see recipe below)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the smokies over direct heat for 10-12 minutes, until nicely charred. Remove to cutting board until cooled enough to handle.
- Turn the heat under the griddle (or large high-heat resistant skillet) onto medium.
- As the griddle/skillet begins to warm, add the olive oil and warm for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the onions and the pinch of salt, stir to combine, cook slowly (adjusting heat as required) until the onions are soft, golden, and slightly browned in spots, about 8-10 minutes.
- While the onions cook, slice the cooled smokies into thin slices on the diagonal.
- When the onions are just about done, add the sliced smokies in with the onions, then add the chilli powder, the lime zest & juice, stir to combine. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally until the lime juice has evaporated and the smokies look moist, but crispy for 5-8 minutes.
- Serve hot smokies immediately with warm tortillas, the corn & black bean salsa, guacamole, and all the toppings.
- Have fun building your own tacos with any or all, of the delicious ingredients.
CORN & BLACK BEAN SALSA
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen, cooked & cooled
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/4 cup jalapeños, seeds removed & diced (about 1 large jalapeño)
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced (about 1/4 of a medium-sized onion)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic (or lime juice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Mix everything together in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 avocados
- 2 jalapeños (roasted, grilled, or charred – skin removed), finely diced
- 4 cloves of roasted garlic
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Place all ingredients into a molcajete (or bowl & fork) and mix to desired consistency
Alternatively, toss all the pre-chopped ingredients (except the avocados and cilantro) into a mini food processor and blitz. Then add the avocado & cilantro and process to desired consistency.
Place in a bowl and cover tightly, to keep from browning, until ready to serve.
Prep time: 30-40 minutes (roasting of garlic)